How do you pronounce Optiat?
- Op – tee – at!
Do you test on animals?
- Absolutely not. We will never test our products on animals and we will never use ingredients that have been tested on animals either. Our products are always vegan too, so we never use animal products in our formulations!
Can I use this on my face?
- Whilst our scrubs are primarily designed for the body, lots of us use them on the face too. Given that the skin on our face is more sensitive, we advise patch testing on a small part of your face and waiting for 24 hours to see if you have an adverse reaction. We also recommend applying gently – don’t rub too hard!
Will the caffeine keep me awake if I use this at night?
- Whilst coffee does contain caffeine, when it is applied to the skin it is absorbed locally. This means that it won’t keep you buzzing all night long!
Do I use this in the shower?
- Yes! Our scrubs are oil-based so simply apply to damp skin for them to apply most effectively. You can also use it in the bath if you prefer.
Does this replace my soap / shower gel?
- The main benefit of our scrubs is as an exfoliator, buffing away dead skin to reveal fresh, soft smooth skin. We recommend that you shampoo and soap as usual, and then use our scrubs as the final part of your shower routine. We’ve also added shea butter which leaves your skin hydrated post-scrub – so you won’t even need to moisturise afterwards!
Do I need to leave this on or can I wash it off straight away?
- You can certainly wash off straight away, but we recommend leaving for a few minutes to let the caffeine to have full effect.
Will this block my drains?
- The actual amount of coffee grounds used when you scrub your body is so small that they don’t pose danger to your drains!
Will this stain my tiles / bath / shower?
- As long as you rinse your shower after using then there will be no staining. If you leave the coffee grounds sitting in the bath or shower for a few weeks, then you may have more of an issue!
Is this ok to use if I have sensitive skin?
- Our scrubs are completely natural, so the main allergens are within the essential oils. For sensitive skin, we recommend the Vanilla Velvet or Mouthwatering Mandarin scrubs, which have the lowest concentration of essential oils.
Why do you use a preservative?
- We collect used coffee grounds from cafes, bars and restaurants all across London. As a result, this organic matter needs to be kept sterile. We use the only natural preservative that is permitted by Natrue, the European natural cosmetic board. The preservative we use is considered natural because each ingredient is derived from plants and thus can be found in nature. We believe this is a price worth paying in order to address the 500,000 tonnes of coffee grounds sent to landfill in the UK alone every year!